I have to giggle about the new seven deadly sins just announced by the Vatican today. The old ones were so very catchy...
I mean pride, sloth, gluttony, lust, envy, anger and greed are so much better than:
- Environmental pollution
- Genetic manipulation
- Accumulating excessive wealth
- Inflicting poverty
- Drug trafficking and consumption
- Morally debatable experiments
- Violation of fundamental rights of human nature
Plus you could never imagine these making as successful as film as Se7en.
On the hand, it set me off thinking, although admittedly more along the lines of the ten commandments... after suffering some slightly peculiar lectures and tutorials...I have created my very own seven commandments of undergraduates...
- Thou shalt spell check
- Thou shalt not use wikipedia as valid academic resource
- Thou shalt not stare at the ceiling/wall/window/notes (delete as appropriate) when asked a question
- Thou shalt understand that the premise of a tutorial is very different to that of a lecture (i.e. tutorial = thou talk)
- Thou shalt not leave essays until the last minute and then whine that there are no books in the library
- Thou shalt not address the lecturer/tutor at the first class with an expression of disbelief and the words "You're the tutor?" in a sceptical voice
- Thou shalt appreciate that we do have better things to with our time, and that thou is more of an annoying disturbance
The list could go on I fear...